6.22.2013

F*R*I*E*N*D*S

So Ty and I were playing our usual game of Phase 10 (other times its Skipbo) and we were discussing how Ty would REALLY love to some day go back and work at a University. Ideally for him it would be BYU. Then we got talking about how we dont really feel at home here in St George yet and how we really miss Utah County. Then we got talking about maybe its because we are still new here and just need time to adjust and make friends. That last part, the one about making friends, thats where we fall short... See Ty and I are pretty sociable people. Probably more so Ty than me, but still we love the idea of having great friends around that you can hang out with at a moments notice. Is that hard to come by? Honestly, I dont know the answer to that. I have been SSSOOO lucky to have life-long friends around (and other great friends we have made along the way) that we have always had access too. If we were bored one night we could always call up someone and have a fun plan. Is that a rare thing that I have taken advantage of my whole life? Either that OR what worries us is that people think we are
A) weird
B) unfriendly; or
C) all of the above

Are we weird? Do people see us and say "oh they look nice" and then talk to us and say "oh... they are... different." Hmmm. There is some food for thought. Is there a reason we dont have any friends? We boggled over this question for some time. But to our credit we have noticed people keep to themselves a lot more here. We still dont know the majority of our neighbors and have probably only actually SEEN them a hand full of times, if ever at all. And in our ward we dont really fit in either. There is probably only a small hand full of people our age, and most of them have multiple kids they are busy with and have callings in the primary so we have only seen them in sacrament.... If it werent for our fearless attention-seeking child, we literally would know no one! So to all our friends scattered all over, how do you meet new friends when you move?



2 comments:

Chad and Mandi said...

You know I have something to say about this! Chad and I have had this conversation so many times, we could write a book. No, you are not weird! Yes, good friends like you and I have had are rare. Yes, it is hard to make friends, especially couple friends. Oh geez... I have so much to say I am just going to facebook you!

Lindsey said...

I love you Jody! You always make me smile :). You are awesome and definitely not weird. What I've done myself and seen others do with success is be the initiator (and yes that can be totally terrifying). You scope out you ward or neighborhood for people that look like a good fit and ask them over for dinner or a playdate. Just keep inviting people to hang out with you, you are awesome, people just need a chance to hang out and see that. Good luck!