5.21.2011

LITTLE Lucy

Last week we spent the weekend in Logan. We went to help Bryce with the Health Days festival thing that he was in charge of and to get away. It hasnt been since January that we had been to Logan so we thought it was about HIGH time we get up there. Saturday we ran the 5k in Smithfield and it went pretty well. We all did really well. My mother-in-law killed us all in time though. Nice, a woman in her late 40's totally destroyed her children that are more than half her age. She was AWESOME!! I am proud to say I smashed my last time by almost 10 minutes!! But trust me, its not saying much, this girl that was about 15-20 yards ahead of me the whole time stopped and walked probably 10 times and i STILL never caught up to her, thats how slow I am. But it was fun and I am glad I did it.
Yesterday we had Lucy's well check visit. Ty took her in since I was at work and I get a text that Lucy is still only a WHOPPING 18 lbs!!! WHAT!!! She hasnt gained an ounce in 3 months. I felt like the worst mom ever!!! She is the tiniest, skinniest baby and I feel like its all my fault. She is less than the 5th percentile, and that is also for her adjusted age of 13 months instead of 15 months. Nice. I swear on everything we feed our child. She is just so picky and she NEVER stops moving to boot. But seriously I feel HORRIBLE!!! So immediately after work I went to wally world (I hate the orem wal-mart btw!!!) and stocked up on pediasure, avacados, olives to add to our 3 jars of peanut butter and other high fat food to hopefully sneak some weight on this little munchkin. I hate that the nurse said just to feed her icecream, cookies, french fries and any other horrible food. Like I am really going to stuff my childs face with junk food all day. Seriously? And we wonder why there is a HUGE epidemic of obesity in our country. But one thing I could NOT find was full fat yogurt. All they had was low-fat. Does anyone know where to get full-fat kind? What brand? Anyway, in my goal to LOSE ten pounds I am determined for Lucy to GAIN 10 pounds. Ok maybe not 10 for Luce, I'll settle for 5. Heck, Ill even take 1!!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jody-

I really wouldn't stress out about Lucy's weight. There is too much emphasis on weight when it comes to kids. My oldest son was always either under the 5 percentile or right at the 5 percentile. I was always told to give him high fat foods... but seriously, what is that doing to all the organs in the body? It doesn't make sense. When my son started getting older, he started gaining more weight... and I didn't feed him anything different then what I was feeding him before. He is now floating around the 50th percentile. I hope this helps you know that it really isn't as huge of a concern as the doctors and nurses say it is, unless there is some kind of medical issue, which is pretty unlikely. Good luck and seriously, don't worry about it, unless you as a mother feels like there is something causing her weight to be the way it is (which it would be a concern if she was losing not staying the same.) She'll gain when she grows :)

Lindsey said...

You are an amazing mom! Completely amazing! Lucy is a very lucky girl! She's just little, that's okay. And I can't believe the nurse told you to feed her ice cream and french fries! Oh my gosh! Avocado sounds like a much better plan!

Sara Tramp said...

Im with Lauren, I wouldnt worry about it. My little girl will be 2 next week and she is barely over 20 pounds.... she has not gained much since she was around a year old! She is very active, somedays she eats a ton and other days she wont eat at all.... People always think she is 1 because she is teeny tiny! I think some kids are just smaller.... im sure they will catch up :) My dr. on the eating thing always told me they wont let themselves starve to death! I totally wouldnt worry about it!oh and my little one eats ice cream like its going out of style.... hasnt made her gain anything! lol but she refuses to drink milk... alot of people swear by whole milk helping kids gain weight?

Steven and Amber Eliason said...

If you're looking for a high fat yogurt, I bought Greek yogurt at WinCo on a whim- it's pretty fatty and tastes exactly like sour cream to me, but Daisy loves it. Maybe Lucy will eat that!

Stephs Story said...

Way to go on running a 5K! No matter how slow or fast it seems you went, the fact that you improved from last time and finished the race is truly a great accomplishment! Way to be! Sorry that the nurses wanted your daughter to gain weight-I'm sure they mean well but as long as your daughter is healthy who cares whether she's smaller than other kids! Eventually she'll catch up and even if she doesn't everyone has their own body type and she just may be one of those lucky ones who is smaller :) I'm proud of you for staying healthy and keeping up on those goals! Way to go!