1.09.2012

Desperate times calls for desperate measures

Here's the deal. My child is a picky eater. No I take that back. She's not a picky eater, that is way too much credit, she is a like a non-eater, or maybe a food hater. Its not like she absolutely won't eat anything,  she will, but only like 5 things. Seriously I could name on one hand the food my child will eat.
-Bread
-pizza
-breakfast food (well any sweet breakfast food, no eggs or meat or anything like that)
-horrible foods like anything covered with sugar, or chips or crackers and stuff like that (which we rarely give her because we don't buy it)
-peanut butter, she is CRAZY about peanut butter
-sometimes quesadilla's or a grilled cheese

Thats it. No fruit, no veggies, no meat. I have researched and researched until i could research no more about picky eaters, and they are all the same. All the same advice. And i have tried it all. Multiple times. In fact, she has gone to bed hungry right now. She is SO stubborn that she could care less about going to bed hungry. And its not because she isn't hungry that she won't eat, she is, she just wants the above mentioned food, and nothing else. I REFUSE to be a restaurant and make a different thing for every person in our house. REFUSE. Thats not even an option in my house. So, time to cut to the chase.

The other day at the in-laws during dinner time I told everyone at the table "if you can get Lucy to eat 1 bite (of anything besides the above mentioned food) I would give you $100". Needless to say, my wallet is still full. I do not know what to do. I am at my wits end. I lose sleep over this. I have prayed more times about this than I pray for my food to "nourish and strengthen our bodies".  If anyone out there has any USEFUL info to get Lucy to eat, no joke, i will pay you $100. No if's, and's, or but's. I will come to your door with a $100 bill. You know what they say, "Desperate times calls for desperate measures".

8 comments:

Unknown said...

put veggies in a smoothie and let her drink it. She will eat when she is hungry enough.
Try frozen veggies right out of the freezer on her highchair tray...thats how my kids liked them.

that is all I've got for ya...Good luck!

I'll take her for a few weeks, maybe she just needs a change.

The Dutsons said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Dutsons said...

I love bumps on a log. Celery sticks with peanut butter and rasins. Or carrot sticks with...peanut butter. Apples...with peanut butter. I also very much like apples with cheese. I have to say as well, that I used to be a very very Very picky eater, and still to this day I am. Some foods, I refuse to allow them to touch. I am more a food snob now. I concur with "Unknown", I would also try frozen fruits. Just tell her it is icecream. ---Jeff---

Sam and Rachel said...

I don't have any tips for getting her to eat, but if you are worried about nutrition have you tried pediasure? Some kids will drink that if you call it a shake. Best of luck to you. I Noah is a very minimal eater too but has a few saving foods he will eat that actually are good for him. Hopefully little Lucy will grow out of it someday.

Ash, O, Ava Jo and Demi Lu said...

Ava went through a stage like this. In fact she still has moments where she doesn't like chicken, or potatos, or whatever I made that night. Now, when I ask her what she wants to eat, she says "Nothing." It is really frustrating and hard b/c you want to feed your kid! The smoothie idea is great. Ava loves smoothies! and just 'hiding' the healthy stuff in other stuff. With Ava now, if I cook something and she doesn't eat, then she doesn't eat. Later she askes for animal crackers, or cookies or something but she doesn't get it b/c she didn't eat dinner. It's hard. hopefully she will get better and get past her phase...

Anonymous said...

Frozen fruit with orange juice blended. It's yummy and sugar free. Maybe she is allergic or just sensitive. I have a picky eater too. I've just stuck to an original... not made a big deal out of it. I make dinner, if he doesn't eat it.. he's stuck with cheerios (which means he eats, I don't have to cook something else). Pretty soon he got so sick of eating cheerios... he begs to eat something else. He's a great fruit eater though (I never give my kids sugar... my oldest is 4 and still to this day doesn't eat sugar... that helps)...and for the first time yesterday, he ate carrots and broccoli.... it just takes time and sometimes they're a little more stubborn! :) My nieces are grazers.... they don't really eat meals (because they aren't great meal eaters..according to my sister in law) so she just lets her kids eat things all throughout the day. I don't know what to tell you! Being a Mom is definitely challenging!

Lindsey said...

I wish I had some great advice...but I don't :(. Good luck! I hope you find something that works. As we start trying to get Ellie to eat table food I think I'm beginning to feel your pain.

The Trythalls said...

Jod,
Houston has been really picky lately as well. I know this is weird, but I put whatever I want him to eat on his tray and then when he starts freaking out while I try to feed it to him. I get the bubbles out. I tell him I will blow the bubbles if he takes a bite. This has worked several times for me. I only blow the bubbles when he takes bites. He usually doesn't finish everything but he eats more than he was. Maybe find something she likes and reward her with that when she takes a bite? Kids are really frustrating sometimes. Good luck!